Youth Beekeeping Education Grants
The Texas Honey Bee Education Association (THBEA) wants to increase the number of Texas youth (ages 13-21 as of December 31, 2021) interested in beekeeping. To that end, THBEA is offering a financial grant to Texas Beekeepers Association (TBA) – member beekeeping associations for the development, and partial funding, of youth beekeeping education programs. THBEA desires to encourage new youth beekeeping education programs in associations that do not currently have them, re-start programs that have become dormant, or assist clubs with limited resources to expand their program.
Youth Program Elements
For the purposes of this grant, a youth beekeeping education program must contain at least the following elements:
- Instruction in basic beekeeping methods using written materials and/or a published book in basic beekeeping
- Instruction in basic honey bee biology using written materials and/or a published book in basic beekeeping
- A schedule of instruction covering at least a nine-month period utilizing experienced beekeepers as instructors
- A mentor for each of the youth participants to provide individualized education and modeling
- A final summary presentation by the youth participants to the TBA-member association membership and to the THBEA board. This may be by video recording or webinar. Some presentations may be selected to be shown at the TBA Convention in November or be highlighted on THBEA/TBA websites or social media channels.
- An opportunity for the youth participants to share their knowledge with other youth interested in beekeeping
The grant can be used to begin a new youth beekeeping education program in the TBA-member association, to re-start a program that has become dormant, or to help clubs with limited resources expand their program. Grants may be used to fund traditionally-styled queen/ambassador programs and youth beekeeping scholarship programs. However, THBEA desires to encourage applicants to consider non-traditional youth beekeeping education programs as well. Creativity is encouraged! The goal is to increase the number of Texas youth engaged in beekeeping as a hobby or profession.
THBEA is offering up to $1,000 per association, with a 2022 maximum of $3,000 to be awarded in 2022.
The grant will be awarded to TBA-member associations which do not currently have youth involved in the beekeeping education program proposed or described in the grant application, or that have very limited resources for expanding a program. For example, an association may have a traditional youth scholarship program and may want to start a new program to educate public school children or begin a honey queen/ambassador program. This grant award is not to replace funding already being provided by the TBA-member association for existing youth beekeeping education programs.
Grant Award Criteria
THBEA will set up a three-person committee to decide on the grant award recommendations. Committee members will use their best efforts to gather information and use their judgment to assess the likelihood of successful implementation of an association’s proposal and the potential for continuing success of the program. Priority will be given to clubs that do not currently have any youth program in place. The THBEA board will review and approve the committee’s recommendations before awarding the grants.
Grant Payment and Reporting Requirements
THBEA will pay 100% of the grant amount upon receipt of a signed Grant Award Letter.
The granted association will report twice in 2022 on the accomplishments of their youth program. An interim report from the association is due before June 30, 2022. A final report, including a presentation by the youth involved in the program, is due before October 31, 2022. These reports may be published in the TBA Journal.
Beekeeping equipment suppliers may offer discounts for THBEA grant awarded associations to purchase beekeeping equipment for their youth beekeeping education program. THBEA will provide the association with the names of suppliers participating in the program.
- Applications accepted from January 15, 2022 to February 10, 2022
- THBEA committee and Board review completed by February 20, 2022
- Grantees notified on or before February 28, 2022 and award letters issued
- Disbursement of funds by March 15, 2022